Sunday 19 February 2012

Kathmandu to Sri Lanka

As I left Kathmandu I definitely felt i had a love hate relationship with the place.  I felt privileged to have met the wonderful inspiring women who i worked with & the western yoga teachers based in Kathmandu who cope with daily life in the craziness of the city & are working hard to create a Kula (community).  I was happy that I was able to put them in contact with the organisations I had been working for so that they could continue teaching the women.  I also would miss my lovely friend Tamzin, whose enthusiasm for life & everything I was doing was in abundance, my golden angel amongst the dirt, hectic, crazy city.  I know that we will have more fun times to share in the UK.

I would not miss the traffic & crazy driving, the smog, micro buses & zipping all over the city but the people I would miss.  I I learnt a lot from the people & how I can survive & grow even in a city I do not like.  Once again I realised how important community is to me, it doesn't matter where you are in the world, what we need is love & support & people who have similar values & out look on life.  The number one principle in Anusara is to see the beauty first, see the bigger picture, not getting lost in detail of life, this is not always so easy but if you can do it in a place where chaos is all around you, you can do it anywhere! Life is good, its all a question of perception!

Ulpotha - Sri Lanka


Arriving at Ulpotha couldn't have been more of a contrast from Kathmandu.   Ulpotha  www.ulpotha.com set in beautiful jungle area in the north of Sri lanka.  A retreat centre where there are no signs for the place as you enter & only certain taxi drivers even know where the place is.  I arrived in the middle of the night, thankfully picked up at the airport.  I awoke amongst noses of birds, frogs & wonderful nature.  I stayed in the colonial style house for the first night & then moved to my mud hut.  The huts are re-built twice a year because they got infested & eaten away by termites!  They are very lovely larger mud huts, not as basic as they sound & each one individually placed out in the jungle! The only thing you have to worry about is the monkeys who may come & steal your things if your not careful!  Being in nature with no electric, only paraffin lamps at night & no internet for 3 weeks was heavenly.  Just arriving at Ulpotha felt like taking a huge in breath & your whole body & mind relaxed.  Most people who arrived at Ulpotha were taking a rest from their hectic work schedules, time for detoxing & rejuventating.  I was able to teach a wonderful ecletic mix of Anusara inspired yoga, chi gong, restorative, acro & singing bowl sound baths.  Everyone who came on the retreat were lovely & open to lots of different things.  In the evenings we would hang out having dinner, chatting, dancing, singing , usually being in bed by 9, 9.30pm!   It was wonderful to go to bed early & then wake with sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

2800m

2800m